Fences are an essential component of property ownership in the city of Mountainview. They serve multiple purposes, from providing privacy and security to enhancing aesthetic appeal to marking property lines. However, it’s important to understand the fence requirements set by the local government to avoid legal issues and ensure compliance with the city’s standards.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the fence requirements for homeowners in the city of Mountainview, including the types of fences allowed, the placement restrictions, and other essential considerations. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions related to fence regulations in the city, to help you make an informed decision regarding your fence project.
Types of Fences Allowed
The city of Mountainview has specific guidelines regarding the types of fences that are allowed on residential properties. Generally, there are three main types of fences that are permitted:
1. Chain Link Fences – Chain link fences are the most common type of fence in Mountainview. They are affordable, durable, and low-maintenance. However, they do not provide much privacy, and are typically used for commercial properties or for securing pets in a backyard.
2. Wooden Fences – Wooden fences are a popular choice for residential properties in Mountainview. They are easy to customize, and can be painted or stained to match the exterior of the house. However, they require more maintenance than chain link fences, and can be more expensive to install.
3. Vinyl Fences – Vinyl fences are a newer type of fence that is becoming increasingly popular in Mountainview. They are more expensive than wooden fences, but are more durable and require less maintenance. They come in a variety of colors and styles, and can offer privacy and security.
In addition to the type of fence you choose, the city of Mountainview also has specific guidelines regarding where and how your fence can be placed. Here are some of the key restrictions to keep in mind:
1. Height Limits – The maximum height for a fence in the front yard of a residential property is four feet. In the backyard, the maximum height is six feet. However, for corner lots, the maximum height is four feet within 25 feet of the corner, and then six feet for the rest of the yard.
2. Setbacks – A fence cannot be placed directly on the property line. It must be set back a certain distance from the line, depending on the type of fence and the height. For example, a four-foot wooden fence must be set back two feet from the line, while a six-foot vinyl fence must be set back three feet.
3. Visibility – Fences cannot block the visibility of drivers or pedestrians on a public street or sidewalk. This means that the bottom of the fence must be at least two feet off the ground, and the spaces between the fence slats cannot be more than four inches wide.
Aside from the type and placement of your fence, there are some other important considerations to keep in mind when planning your fence project in Mountainview. Here are some of the key factors:
1. Building Permit – In most cases, a building permit is required before you can install a fence in Mountainview. You can obtain a permit from the city’s building department, and the fee will depend on the height and length of your fence.
2. Homeowner’s Association – If you live in a neighborhood with a homeowner’s association (HOA), you may need to follow additional guidelines for your fence project. Make sure to check with your HOA before starting any construction.
3. Neighborly Relations – It’s important to keep your neighbors in mind when planning your fence. While you have the right to install a fence on your property, it’s always a good idea to communicate with your neighbors and make sure they are comfortable with the design and placement of the fence.
Q: Can I build a fence higher than six feet in my backyard?
A: No, the maximum height for a fence in the backyard of a residential property in Mountainview is six feet.
Q: Do I need a building permit for a four-foot chain link fence?
A: Yes, in most cases you will need a building permit for any type of fence installation in Mountainview. The fee will depend on the height and length of the fence.
Q: Can I build a fence directly on my property line?
A: No, a fence must be set back a certain distance from the property line depending on the type and height of the fence. This is to ensure that the fence does not encroach on your neighbor’s property.
Q: Does the city provide any assistance for fence installation?
A: No, the city does not provide any financial assistance or incentives for fence installation. However, you may be able to find local contractors who offer financing options or discounts.
Q: Can I install an electric fence on my property?
A: No, electric fences are not permitted in residential areas in Mountainview. They are typically used for agricultural or commercial properties.
In conclusion, fences are an essential component of property ownership in the city of Mountainview. Understanding the requirements set by the local government will ensure that your fence project is legal, safe, and compliant with the city’s standards. If you have any questions or concerns about your fence project, be sure to consult with a local contractor or the city’s building department for guidance.